image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Research metadata

Quick facts

Address / Eircode Millbrook House, Abbeyleix Old Town / Oldtown, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois. Eircode not verified.
Building type Detached late-Victorian former estate / steward’s house with coach house; now proposed for guesthouse / restaurant use.
Period / date Built c.1885.
Heritage refs (RPS / NIAH) RPS 649; NIAH No. 12802342.
Apparent status Fully restored and operational as Ómós Guesthouse and Restaurant.
On Derelict Sites Register? Yes / formerly — Irish Mirror reports the bid acknowledged return to the derelict-sites register if the property was not protected within a reasonable period; Offaly Express states the Council acquired it by CPO to prevent complete ruin.
On Vacant Sites Register? Unknown.
Owner / operator Comhlacht na Feirme Ltd reported as purchaser from Laois County Council; the restored hospitality business now trades as Ómós Guesthouse and Restaurant.

Summary

Millbrook House is a late-Victorian protected structure on the former de Vesci / Abbeyleix Estate, built c.1885 and historically associated with estate management and later private occupation. It had fallen into serious disrepair, was acquired by Laois County Council by CPO, and was sold onward with a restoration requirement to prevent further loss of historic fabric. ([1]) ([2]) The site has now moved beyond the “active restoration” stage and is presented by its operators as Ómós Guesthouse and Restaurant, an intimate Irish guesthouse outside Abbeyleix with sixteen bedrooms, restaurant booking tied to overnight stays, shared guest spaces, walking trails and a sauna. ([6])

Identification